Welcome

Bethlehem Lutheran School provides a Christian education, preparing the whole child for life-long learning and service to the Lord.

Friday, September 4, 2026

Fri-Yay!

We finished off our first week strong!  I am so impressed with these 2nd graders!

We had our first memory work test today.  I am very understanding when it comes to memory work--I do not grade spelling, and I am fairly fluent in 2nd grade phonetic spelling. ;)  It is not meant to be high-stress--as long as they show that they know the Bible verse, I am happy.

 

The students also took a math placement test today.  This test is low-key and serves to give me an idea of where the students are starting the year in their knowledge of math and its vocabulary.

 

After lunch, they had their first Spanish class of the year.  Ask them what they did!

 

The students also did another Math-a-Minute, which is a timed math test with 15 math facts on it.  They start on +0 (with all of the math problems adding 0), and work their way up.  They have one minute to complete the test.  If they don't finish, or if they get one wrong, they have the chance to do it again the next time we do Math-a-Minutes.  This is intended to help the students become fluent in their math facts.  I encourage them to do their best, I assure them that they will oftentimes have to do a Math-a-Minute more than once before they pass, and I remind them they aren't to share which one they're on with their friends.  It's a competition for themselves only. :)

 

Then we discussed our "Purple Hand Pledge," which is: I will not use my hands or my words for hurting myself or others.  We talked about what this means and how we can show that in everyday life.  Then we made our own purple hands, which will be displayed on our door for the whole year to remind us of this promise that we're making to each other.

 

We did our next daily language review, and this time they had a chance to do more of it independently.  We went over it together so we’re prepared to do it independently next week.

   

Have a blessed, restful weekend!  No school on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment


About Mrs. Picker

Mrs. Rebekah Picker grew up just across the river in Hermiston, Oregon. She graduated Summa Cum Laude from Concordia University in Portland, Oregon in 2010 with a degree in Early Childhood/Elementary Education with a minor in Professional Church Work. In May of 2014, Rebekah received her Master of Education degree from Heritage University. She started at Bethlehem in 2010. Rebekah is married to David, who works as a sales manager in the Tri-Cities area. She also has two daughters and a son. Fun fact: Rebekah is a mirror-image twin, meaning that she is right-handed and her identical twin is left-handed.