It was a fun, long day in 2nd grade today! Be prepared for your 2nd grader to come home tired! (I know they wore me out!)
We started off with a tour of our desk and a tour of the classroom so we could get acquainted with the important things we'll be using throughout the year. Then we reviewed some procedures and took a look at our classroom blog.
After recess, we learned about the jobs in our classroom and what they all entail. Ask them which job they’re most excited about!
Next, we did our first “morning work” page together. Every morning, the second graders will have a daily language review to complete independently; then we’ll go over it together some mornings. In order to get them comfortable doing them independently, we did the first one together today.
I also did an All About Mrs. Picker presentation so they could get to know more about me, beyond just what they see in the classroom. The presentation ended with a game--since I'm an identical twin, I took childhood pictures of me and my twin sister and had the students guess which one was me. Ask them how well they did! (I usually get several wrong!)
After that, we discussed our classroom rules: 1. Show respect, 2. Make good decisions, and 3. Solve problems. We discussed what these look like in the classroom, and we all signed the rules, agreeing to follow them throughout the year.
We ended the day by decorating a leaf that will become part of our door decoration. Then we packed up and were introduced to our read aloud: The Tale of Despereaux, then heading to P.E. If you haven’t sent your second grader’s gym shoes with them yet, please do that ASAP. They’ll stay at school for the year.
Have a restful, low-key night!
No comments:
Post a Comment